Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tuesday's Tip: Coaching

Funny that the title of this post makes it seem like I have some wise truth to tell you about how to be a great coach. However, its more about what I don't know rather than what I do. Tuesday's Tip will be about a mixture of things. Some tips will be a life lesson that I have learned and I choose to pass it on so that you have the opportunity to learn it vicariously. Other tips will be good advice on the how to's of life. This one will be something I have learned.

I'm a basketball coach for a 1st and 2nd grade girls basketball team. There are six girls on my team. They are overall wonderful. Talented, attentive, and quick learners. The problem: I don't know anything about basketball. See, I am the brains behind the league. I have spent the past three months organizing, finding coaches, ordering uniforms, scheduling practices, etc. Without being arrogant, things have gone so smooth so far. We were one short coach. Trying to believe in myself, I stepped up ready to accept the challenge. Well, its not going well. The longer I let this go on, the more I feel like I am cheating them out of a good experience. I don't feel like I am doing anything halfway, but maybe they deserve more than what I'm giving them. They are getting half. Sad.

The tip: Don't volunteer for something that you don't know anything about. Its not fair to the other party.

No comments:

Post a Comment